Additional ideas for a good brainstorming session
This page is dedicated to fresh ideas for a brainstorming session. Experiment
with them and see what works for you, or use them to change the format of your
Great brainstorming ideas:
- Use a video camera or tape recorder to make sure no ideas are lost. They
can be transcribed later.
- Lower the lighting in the room to make people more relaxed and less inhibited.
- Have some toys and interesting play objects to stimulate and relax people.
- Use a room outside your normal office environment for extra effect.
- Have a different room with refreshments and encourage people to meet and
chat in the break periods.
- Remove or turn off the telephones in the room.
- Close the curtains or blinds if there are any distractions outside.
- Play a mixture of soothing and stimulating music. Play a random selection
from two different CDs.
- Let everyone have their own computer with brainstorming
software on it and use this for a stimulus.
- Have lots of old newspaper, stickytape, scissors and string so that people
can experiment with making and describing their ideas.
- Have lots of coloured pens and pencils around.
- Give everyone a yellow piece of card to show if people are starting to become
- Give everyone a green piece of card to show if people are starting to put
forward solutions which are too ordinary.
- Use blindfolds for hidden suggestions.
- Spread out some joke books to encourage laughter.
- Get people to stand up instead of sitting down.
- Get everyone to face the outside walls in their chairs instead of facing
- Give everyone a personal tape recorder so no ideas are lost because of slowness
of writing .
From the above ideas you should be able to see that brainstorming styles and
techniques can be varied to keep a session alive and dynamic. Brainstorming
should not be a boring or static. Change it and see what happens!
about your own methods and techniques, we would love to know them.
If you only arrived here for additional information, please press the BACK button
on your browser now.
Click on the YELLOW door to continue the yellow (Brainstorming) tour
click on the GREEN door to continue the Green (Advanced Brainstorming) tour
click on the house to return to the table of contents.
|Press 'n' to go to the 'N'ext page,
press 'b' to go 'B'ack a page
| Bookmark with: